That’s right, there is now a day to celebrate feeling happy.
Has life really become such a hard old slog that we need a date in the diary to take a step back and appreciate the good stuff? I hope not.
But, lets not be too quick to dismiss this (I’m mainly talking to myself here!).
No one feels happy constantly. Happiness, in my experience is like the tide, it ebbs and flows. Sometimes you’ll feel like everything is going your way, you’ll have a spring in your step and the world will feel a rosier place. On other occasions it feels like you’re wading through treacle just to get to the end of the day and you wonder what the hell the point is in anything. I have had my share of dark days. I have suffered from depression and happily, at the moment I am well and…happy or, more accurately, content. It feels pretty good.
It is easy to dismiss the idea of a specific day for happiness but, actually, it gives us a platform to consider what happiness is, why it’s important and how we can both get more and give more.
So, here’s my top 10 of things that make me happy.
1) Hearing my babies giggling and chattering to each other. Watching them play together when they don’t know I’m there.
2) Spending time with my husband. Having a conversation and a catch up and a cuddle.
3) Spending time with my family, my mum and my sister.
4) Hanging out with my mates, talking, laughing, catching up and not having to explain yourselves because you just know, you know?
5) A long hot bath with a magazine, a glass of wine and time to really chill out and relax afterwards.
6) Hearing a favourite old song and being reminded of happy times.
7) Exercise (or the feeling I get afterwards!)
8) Good food.
9) Making plans (usually months in advance!)
10) Oh, and shoes. I love a good pair of heels!
SURPRISE!! It isn’t stuff- it isn’t a wish list of products and brands and things. It is people (mainly).
When people ask me what I want for my girls, my first though is always that I want them to be happy. I never think, I hope they’re loaded. I hope they get a 1st class degree. I always want to see them smile. I want them to have a warmth in their hearts and to know true happiness. It will help them through when times are tough.
Happy Happiness Day.
Lots of Love,